November becomes Movember once again for the moustache growing charity event. The campaign aims to raise funds and awareness for men’s health and in particular prostate and testicular cancer. By encouraging men to get involved Movember hopes to raise awareness of the health issues that affect men and to ultimately change the face of men’s health. Prostate cancer is the most common cancer in men and it causes approximately 10,000 deaths in the UK each year.
Movember Key Health Messages
- 1 in 9 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in the UK
- 1 man is diagnosed every 15 minutes
- 1 man will die from prostate cancer every hour and more than
- 10,000 men will die of the disease this year in the UK
- African Caribbean men are three times more likely to develop prostate cancer
- You are 2.5 times more likely to develop prostate cancer if your father or brother has had it
- Occurrences of prostate cancer in men are comparable to the rates of breast cancer in women
- 2,209 men in the UK were diagnosed with testicular cancer in 2009
- 47% of testicular cancer cases occur in men under 35 years and over 90% occur in men under 55 years
Expert advice can be sought from a urologist such as, Consultant Urological Surgeon, Mr Leye Ajayi.
For further information please see http://uk.movember.com/