Anyone who suffers from heavy periods knows how difficult they can make everyday life.
No white trousers for heavy periods
Wearing white or light-coloured trousers or dresses? Not if there’s an iota of a chance your period might be coming. Although theoretically going swimming with a period shouldn’t be a problem, women who suffer from heavy periods won’t want to take the chance. Even booking a holiday can mean frantic calculations as to whether your period might be due.
If you suffer from heavy periods that are affecting your enjoyment of daily life and medication has not been effective, then your specialist may recommend surgery.
Office gynaecology can help
Fortunately, some procedures for heavy periods are suitable for ‘office gynaecology’, also known as ‘ambulatory gynaecology’, which means they are carried out without general anaesthetic and in treatment rooms rather than surgical theatres. This results in minimum disruption to daily life and faster recovery time.
Two procedures that can be performed in this way are endometrial ablation – removal of the womb’s lining to treat heavy periods — and hysteroscopic resection — removal of fibroids or polyps from the womb.
Advantages of NovaSure ablation
The leading method of ablation is the NovaSure Endometrial Ablation, which requires no incisions and uses precisely measured radio frequency energy. However, it is only for women who have no wish to become pregnant, and it is not a sterilisation procedure, so you will still need to use contraception.
- It’s a safe procedure when combined with assessment using a hysteroscope.
- It is quick, taking an average of 90 seconds and a maximum of 120 seconds to perform.
- There’s no need to fit in with the menstrual cycle.
- There’s minimal pain afterwards.
- Most patients are ready to leave within 30 minutes.
High levels of patient satisfaction
Mr Francis Gardner, of Twenty-five Harley Street, has achieved very high patient satisfaction after treatment with NovaSure, with women experiencing a 95 per cent reduction in menstrual dysfunction. Three months after the procedure, approximately three-quarters of women had amenorrhea (no periods).
The pain relief technique used by Mr Gardner achieves an extremely low pain score, delivering the best results worldwide, as presented at the World Congress of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in 2016.
A safe treatment for fibroids
Hysteroscopic resection with MyoSure is an extremely safe treatment for fibroids and Mr Francis Gardner is the most experienced surgeon at performing this procedure in Europe. After assessment with a hysteroscope, the procedure is performed without any cuts or scarring.
Advantages of office gynaecology
- Treatment turnaround time can be much quicker, saving the patient time and discomfort. The patient can even be assessed and treated on the same day.
- Recovery times are faster. Most patients are able to leave around 30 minutes after the procedure.
- Office gynaecology is safer because it avoids the need for general anaesthetic. This means the patient does not need to fast before the procedure.
- There is less risk of peri-operative complications or of contracting an infection in hospital.
Get heavy periods sorted
If heavy periods are having a negative impact on your life, then office gynaecology is definitely worth considering. But make sure you consult a doctor who has experience in this type of procedure. If you are a suitable case, the treatments available are quick and safe and you’ll be back on your feet and getting on with your life in no time.
Mr Francis Gardner is part of the team at Twenty-five Harley Street. Mr Francis Gardner and Mr Pandelis Athanasias Consultant Gynaecologists at Twenty-five Harley street are experts in office gynaecology.