Internationally recognised as a leader in the highly complex area of keyhole heart surgery, Mr Inderpaul Birdi has trained surgeons from all over the world and now extends his message to patients. In his highly informative article, Mr Birdi explains those heart conditions that can be treated by keyhole surgery.
Conditions which can be treated laparoscopically include the following:
- Disease of the heart valves.
- Disease of the coronary arteries.
- Heart rhythm abnormalities such as atrial fibrillation.
- A hole in the heart (atrial septal defect).
- Previous open heart surgery through a sternotomy where a keyhole procedure may now be safer than a repeat sternotomy.
- A desire a better and more appealing cosmetic result.
Mr Birdi says:
Fortunately, heart surgery has advanced enormously and patients can now expect to feel better and live for longer following their operation with minimal risk. There is compelling evidence that these newer techniques offer real advantages for patients when experienced surgeons perform them. Unfortunately, many of these advances have not been widely employed to date in the United Kingdom.