Precision without Incision
CyberKnife®, is a new form of targeted radiotherapy used to treat certain types of cancer. This powerful new treatment uses the technique of stereotactic radiosurgery where pencil-thin beams of radiation are directed at tumours to destroy them without radiating the surrounding tissue. This avoids the side effects of high-dosage radiation experienced with normal radiotherapy. CyberKnife® can be used alone or alongside other treatments such as chemotherapy.
CyberKnife® can be used to treat the following conditions:
- Low grade Astrocytomas (grade 2/3)
- Meningiomas (up to 5cm in size)
- Brain metastases (usually one – three)
- Pituitary tumours
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Spinal metastasis (usually solitary)
- Primary spinal tumours
- Stage 1 non small cell lung cancer
- Locally advanced cancer of the pancreas
- Primary liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma)
- Lung metastases
- Liver metastases
- Lymph node metastases
- Early Prostate Cancer
- Early Kidney Cancer
- Recurrent Head and Neck Cancer
An easy to navigate introduction to our articles on CyberKnife® is available in our CyberKnife® guide.
Most advances in cancer treatment are small steps forward, but occasionally there is a giant leap.