Ms Liz Ackroyd is a specialist Speech and Language Therapist working with adults with speech, language and swallowing difficulties. She is also a well-established expert witness, regularly providing reports in criminal and compensation claims having undertaken specialist training. Ms Ackroyd has recently acted as a Clinical Lead for Speech and Language Therapy at a regional rehabilitation centre in the NHS. She is also an accredited SMART (Sensory Modality Assessment and Rehabilitation Technique) assessor enabling her to undertake diagnosis and therapy for clients in vegetative and minimally conscious states.
Ms Ackroyd, alongside Ms Jo Frost, is a Director of Therapy Midlands Ltd., a team of specialist therapists working together with clients and partners to provide high quality therapy that enables individuals to achieve their potential, improve their quality of life and maximise their independence.
The key philosophy of Therapy Midlands is:
- To create a client-centred philosophy where services are built on client needs.
- To focus therapeutic input on areas of work which are functional and useful to the client.
- To ensure that therapy is meaningful to the client.
- To set and review therapeutic goals, keeping the focus on progression.
- Wherever possible to use a project to ensure the specific work on language and communication will be focused, targeted and relevant.
- To reveal the client’s competence and “expertise” as this has a positive impact on the individual.
- To use evidence-based intervention wherever possible.
Ms Ackroyd qualified with a BSc (Hons) in Speech and Language Therapy in 2002. Since qualification she has worked solely with adults with acquired neurological conditions. She specialises in both communication and swallowing difficulties across the spectrum of neurological acquired conditions. She has a wide range of experience from acute to rehabilitation to community.